Thursday, January 5, 2012

Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies - Levain Bakery

My all time favorite chocolate chip cookie comes from Levain Bakery in NYC.
Back when I had time to scour food blogs for the perfect dessert to bake this was the most appetizing looking cookie.  I couldn't find the exact recipe, Levain has done a wonderful job at keeping it top secret, but all of the copycat recipes had my mouth watering.  I asked my cousin & aunt, who live in the big apple, about the bakery and if they had ever been.  They hadn't, but did shortly after:)
They gave it two thumbs up and even surprised me with the real deal when we all met up in DC last October.  They were everything I imagined and so much more.  They are scone-like at first glance.  They are HUGE.  They are sweet and a little underbaked in the center.  They are loaded with chunks of chocolate and walnut halves.  I was so grateful they thought of me and am now determined to recreate and enjoy them from the comfort of my home.

Once we got home I got serious and did research on what people knew about the recipe and what they saw on Bobby Flay's Throwdown episode.  Then life got in the way and I forgot/got too busy to bake.
Well, with an upcoming trip to NY in the VERY near future! and my hubby out in the field for an entire week:( I got to work.  I took 4 different copycats versions and created my own.  I am really happy with the results and can't wait to share!


Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Walnut Pecan Cookies (makes-  1 dozen cookies)
Ingredients
  • 2 sticks unsalted butter (cold and cubed)
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon espresso
  • 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour (lightly spooned into measuring cup)
  • 3/4 cups bread flour
  • 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 2 cups semisweet/milk chocolate chips or chunks
  • 1 cup toasted walnuts (I have a ridiculous amount of pecans in the freezer, so that's what I used)
Directions (preheat oven to 350 degrees)
1. In bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle, cream together butter and sugars until well blended and fluffy. Add espresso. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until well incorporated.
2. Add flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and mix until just combined. Gently fold in chocolate chunks and nuts.
3. Divide into 12 equal portions (4 oz each).  Place on parchment paper lined cookie sheets and place in the freezer for 15 or so minutes.  I got my cookies on the sheets and then preheated the oven.  Once the oven was ready I put my cookies in the oven.
4. Bake in the preheated oven 16 minutes depending on how gooey and raw’ish you like the middles and until very lightly browned, taking care not to overbake. Let cool on rack and store what you don’t immediately eat, in an airtight container. To freshen them after a few days, sprinkle some water on them (thanks for the tip Maria!) and give them a quick nuke in the microwave for 5-10 seconds.


Portioning my cookies on my new kitchen scale (thanks Matthew & Amanda!)



Here they are!  Let me know if you try these, your own version, or Levain's.  Enjoy:)

1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.